History of the Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.
On January 22, 1942, the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of serviceman to return the coupon after filling it out. The following February 1st, 300 mothers met in the Durant Hotel, in Flint Michigan. Captain George H. Maines, who had conceived the idea for this group, acted as the chair of this first meeting. It was decided that after receiving 1000 responses from the ad to form a permanent organization.
Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. They worked in hospitals, train stations, packed care packages for soldiers, and were a working part of homeland security during our times of war. The organization waned in size during times of relative peace yet has held together by mothers showing pride in both their children's military service and pride in country.
In recent times we have begun to grow in strength. After the 9/11 attack on our own soil and the recent Global War on Terror Conflicts, a surge of military service awareness is on the rise where we as mothers hang flags in our windows at home proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during time of war.
Our organization not only provides support for active duty military service personnel, we promote patriotism, assist Veterans organizations, and we are available to assist as homeland volunteers to help our country remain strong.
On February 6th, the organization was reported on Congressional record. Chapters then formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa, and Washington. In June of 1960, the organization was chartered by Congress.